The Junior Researchers of EARLI host an annual conferences offering the possibility to meet fellow junior researchers from all over Europe and exchange ideas and experiences. JURE provides an environment where juniors can socialise and participate in a scientific community.
It is with heavy heart that, due to the ongoing uncertainties with regards to the COVID-19 crisis, we have moved to cancel the JURE 2020 conference. All registrations will be refunded and we hope to welcome you at JURE 2021 in Gothenburg!
The theme of the JURE 2020 conference is “Generation change: the future of education within a diverse society”. We would like to invite our fellow junior researchers to be the “generation change”, the generation that will shape the educational research of the future – both in terms of topics as well as methodological advances and research practices. We would also like to encourage the presentation of research that will support current and future learners of all backgrounds in their quest to be the “generation change” that will shape the future of our planet and our societies. We therefore hope for an inspiring conference with presentations, workshops and keynotes that will not only showcase the newest findings about the cognitive, motivational and emotional aspects of learning but will also be a place to discuss old and new ideas.
OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE
All junior researchers (PhD and MA or MSc students, as well as graduates who have received their doctorate within the last two years) can apply to participate in the 24th JURE Conference. Thus, participants will have the opportunity to meet many talented young researchers, with whom they can explore “Generation change: the future of education within a diverse society”, either during formal presentations or in informal chats over coffee breaks, lunch hours, and social activities.
16 October 2019Submissions open
10 December 2019Submission deadline
04 February 2020First round review deadline
04 February 2020Registrations open
02 April 2020Second round submission deadline
21 April 2020Early Bird Deadline
13 - 17 July 2020JURE 2020
At JURE 2020, we welcome the following submission types for the second submission round:
- Paper presentation: An updated abstract (max. 300 words) and a full paper (3000 - 6000 words), uploaded as an attachment to the submission.
- Poster presentation: An updated abstract (max. 300 words) and the actual poster, uploaded as an attachment to the submission.
- Roundtable: An updated abstract (max. 300 words) and the roundtable hand-out, uploaded as an attachment to the submission.
A roundtable session consists of 2 or 3 conceptually linked projects. Each presenter has 5 minutes to introduce his/her project and raise one or two open questions, after which 25 minutes are intended for discussion.
There are 2 submission rounds:
- The deadline for submitting your first round is 10th December 2019. Notification of decision will be given by 28th January 2020. People who have been accepted following the first review round are requested to submit a proposal for the second review round.
- The purpose of the second round of reviews is to help junior researchers to improve their papers based on the feedback from the first review round, while at the same time giving them the opportunity to have review proposals of their peers. The deadline for the second submission and review round will be communicated after January 28th.
- The second round submission is an integral part of the JURE 2020 review process. Taking the comments provided in the first review round in mind, you are now asked to submit an elaborate proposal consisting of a full paper, poster or roundtable (see further). The deadline for submitting your second round proposal is April 2nd midnight CEST, 2020 and you can do so via your user dashboard or the following link. By May 4th you will receive further feedback on your proposal.
- Statistical Practice and How It Shapes Research
Dr. Takuya Yanagida, University of Vienna, Austria
- Pretty heavily Depressed? An Overview of PhD Students’ Wellbeing
Dr. Els van Rooij, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
- Facing the challenges of evidence-based practice and ecological validity in the literacy domain
Dr. Liliana Tolchinsky, University of Barcelona, Spain
At JURE 2020, we are pleased to host a series of interactive workshops on topics that are of relevance to Junior Researchers. While we are still planning the finer details, you may expect to find workshops on broader topics such as:
- Statistical analyses
(e.g., How to deal with missing data, Multilevel analysis, Structural Equation Modeling, Intro to Bayes)
- Qualitative research
(e.g., Mixed methods research, Quality indicators of qualitative research)
- Academic writing
(e.g., Systematic review and meta-analysis, Dos and don'ts of academic writing, How to get your research published, Open science framework)
- Technology in education
(e.g., Research on digital tools/technology and learning, Online measures of learning processes)
- Well-being during PhD and building a career after PhD
(e.g., Work-life balance in academia, How to write successful research proposals to European funding programmes)
EARLY BIRD - LATE REGISTRATION
JURE Member in 2020 € 150 € 200
Non-EARLI Member in 2020 € 175 € 225
Gala Dinner Ticket € 15 € 15
Conference fees include a conference bag, lunch, coffee and participation in the conference.
The early bird registration ends on April 21st (midnight CET).
If you want to become a JURE member – and receive the reduced conference fee – please visit earli.org/join. Make sure to apply as JURE member some weeks before your registration as a proof of your doctoral status is required.
You can register now by using the following link or via your user dashboard.
JURE 2020 International Committee
- Ana Camacho
JURE 2020 Conference Chair
University of Porto, Portugal
- Maria Anastasou
University of Cyprus
- Nadine Correia
University Institute of Lisbon
- Monique Dijks
University of Groningen
- Alice Gasparini
- Svenja Heitmann
- Judith Loopers
University of Groningen
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org